Trendy Tendencias: US & Mexico

Blog following and discussing new trends, specifically in the US and in Mexico.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Pregnancy & Ultrasound Centers

As far as I know, this is a pretty new trend...I just came across it today. Basically, in the US, these Ultrasound & Pregnancy Centers are popping up. They are not doctor's offices and do not offer medical services, but they are a place that you can go to get 3-D and 4-D images/videos of your unborn baby. They can tell you the sex of the baby, as well. In addition to these ultrasound packages that start at about $150, some of these places are retail stores for baby products as well.

All of the stores seem to use the same machine, the GE Voluson 730, which seems to start pricing at around $55,000.

It seems like it could be a great concept in a very high end market. I imagine main competition would be the doctor's office.

Check out these articles and store websites:
Article: Shop caters to expectant parents
Store in NJ: Envision Ultrasound
Store in FL: Look Who's Kickin'

6 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The downside is that these ultrasound clinics are being used in many third world countries to determine the sex of the baby, and then abort it if it turns out to be female - just awful. This is a real problem in China and India. Probably not a big deal in the US, but something to consider if you want to be an ethical investor.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Neville said...

Great observation!

The uncle of one of my buddies does the same thing with MRI's and CAT scans.

He takes out a loan, buys a $1.2 million dollar CAT scan machine, hires a radiologist, opens shop next to a hospital....then repeats.

His company is going public in a few months.

You know what would be a GREAT opportunity in Mexico?!??! Laser hair removal! Ohhh..I'm going to post that in my forums now :-)

-Nev

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Rebecca Carter said...

Anon: Yeah, I get your point. All of these places say that you have to be going to the doctor, etc and that it's not for medical purposes, but as you get into less developed countries, it's tougher to enforce. You could have issues not just with the sex of the baby, as you mentioned, but with people using it in lieu of a doctor.

Neville: You're right, the concept is the same and is really taking off, isn't it? I was just looking on my high school reunion site and it looks like one of the guys has a mobile glaucoma service (I'm from FL, where the people are OLD!)...all similar ideas! The laser hair removal is a good one, too. I'm sure there are places here, but sometimes it's about coming in and really marketing something right, you know?

Plus, Nev, I checked out your forums, and I hadn't thought of it, but yes, important to look at the stock of the people that make all of these machines and take advantage of the trend! (I should have thought of it! Oh well, slow brain day!)

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Neville said...

GE happens to be behind a lot of high tech medical equipment. I wish I owned some GE stock...

...oh wait, I do :-)

-Nev

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, I wonder if I can start one of these and use my ultrasound I currently have - and use on my horses!

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home