Trendy Tendencias: US & Mexico

Blog following and discussing new trends, specifically in the US and in Mexico.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Spanish language music mixed in!

Hi everyone! I’d like to welcome you back to the “fall season” of Trendy Tendencias! I took quite a long break that we’ll call summer vacation, but there was no resting involved whatsoever!

So here we are. First post of the season! (I guess it’s my Season Premiere?) I was recently driving from Mexico to Miami with my husband…the 2,150 miles took us 4 days. When we arrived in Texas, we stopped into Best Buy and purchased the “NOW 19” CD to add to the music that we brought along with us. And with this, I came up with my first post!

Most of you know that these “NOW That’s What I Call Music” compact discs are filled with current popular singles – mostly pop and rap music. I was amazed to see that mixed in with all of the songs in English was “La Tortura” in Spanish with Shakira and Alejandro Sanz!

Many Latin singers have broken into the US market in the past such as Ricky Martin, Thalia, Enrique Iglesias and Shakira. (I guess one of the first would have been Julio Iglesias?) All of these singers have had hit songs in the US…but traditionally these songs have been in English.

The fact that “La Tortura” was released in the US in Spanish indicates a shift in the level of acceptance by the American culture. In almost any other country in the world you will hear songs in various languages, one of them almost always being English…because many popular songs come from places such as the US and the UK. However in the US, if anyone has ever wanted to break into the American market, the song had to be in English.

Congrats y Felicidades to Shakira & Alejandro Sanz. Also check out Daddy Yankee’s “Gasolina” and duet with Puffy Daddy at this year's Billboard Latin awards.

1 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger Rebecca Carter said...

I was just reading a similar article via Hispanic Trending. Check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home